Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rock and Roll, Washington DC

What an experience!! To be running through the streets of the Nation’s Capital, all the history our founding fathers created, the trees changing and the blossoms coming out along the Potomac River…awesome!!! It was also St Patrick’s Day, so you can imagine the sights. Some of the funny ones where a Leprechaun (He ran all 26 miles in the suite), multiple size and shape St Patrick’s Day hats, tights, multiple sightings of the Dad from “The Incredibles”, just not as muscular and he was on a bike (Cheater) and many outfits that I would have rather not seen. Normally, marathons bring out some rather strange signs for you to read, but for this race, not so much. There were a few crazy ones, but nothing really to write about.

Now to my race, it started at 8 am. I was up at 5am to eat as I always do. I had oatmeal, toast with Peanut Butter and one cup of coffee. This is my routine and I was sticking with it. I made sure I had my energy gels (Jello type) and granola bars before heading to the Metro. It took me about 40 mins to get to the starting point of the race. I immediately got in line for the porta-johns (pre-race ritual). I then moved to my corral. I was placed in Corral 10, which is an estimated finish of 4 hrs. The horn sounded and we were off. I like how the Rock and Roll Marathon’s start their marathon’s. Each Corral is let go about a minute and a half a part. This really helps with the huge amount of people at the start of the race, stopping congestion and it allows me to get into my rhythm faster. The first 8 miles moved quickly and before I knew it I was at mile 13….half-way home. I was not sure of my time, but I felt really good. As I pushed to mile 17, it happened……I had to stop at the porta john. This was good to make it to mile 17 and not have to stop, so it was a welcomed pit-stop. Luckily, there was no one in line so it was quick. It felt like a pit-stop at a NASCAR race :-). As I pushed into mile 20, I started to feel my legs getting heavier, but I was still moving at a good pace. Then at mile 23 the legs where going down quickly, I walked for about 20 secs that mile and then picked back up and ran comfortably until mile 25, again walking for about 30 secs. It was at this point that I told myself, SELF it is time for you to push with everything you have and finish strong! Two personal bests for me, Overall 4:06 and Half-way point: 1:56.

No comments:

Post a Comment