Friday, September 21, 2012

USAF Marathon, Dayton OH

What an awesome USAF Marathon experience!! The weather at the start was a perfect 49 degrees. We had a B-2 Bomber flyover to start the race! If you have read my previous blogs on the marathons I have run I always include the funny costumes that people wear as they run. I only saw a few this race. A bumble bee...she really dressed the part. A ballerina...she dressed the part as well, just with running shoes...LOL. The race was well organized and the volunteers were outstanding! I am not just saying that because it was my services’ marathon. The water stations had plenty of water and Gatorade.

This race was also a bit unique as I traveled from Washington DC to Dayton Ohio on Friday for a Saturday race. I also had 3 other friends race as well. For two of them, it was their first marathon and for the other it was his third. I traveled with one of the guys and we arrived late in the afternoon Friday. The expo was excellent, a lot of vendors and spread-out. It was held at the Nutter Center (The basketball stadium for Wright-State University). After getting my BIB and some extras we headed to Fazzlios for our pasta dinner. After dinner it was hotel room bound to prepare. One of the guys (Josh) was not due to arrive in Dayton until 11pm so I picked up his BIB. Josh is an 18 yr old that is good friends with my son Hunter and was traveling from Oklahoma via a Greyhound bus…yep 30 hours in a bus! Hunter my son unfortunately could not make the run due to college commitments.

Now to the race, it started at 7:30 am. I was up at 5 am to eat as I always am. I had oatmeal, English muffin with Peanut Butter and pickle juice...my routine. I made sure I had my energy gels (Jello type), music and headphones before heading out. It took us about 20 mins to get to the base and park. Not too bad considering the amount of people. Again, let me say it was well organized. We had to walk for a bit to the starting line area. First stop for me...yep the porta-john (pre-race ritual). The four of us meet up again at the corral locations, took a picture and Josh and I headed for the 4 hr pace group. Right before the start we had a B-2 flyover...AWESOME!! Then the horn sounded and we were off. I really liked how the USAF split up the full and half-marathon runners. We started at 7:30 am and the half started at 8:30 am. This made the start much smoother and less crowded. Normally I have to run conservatively at the beginning with so many people around. This time I started out on the right stride.

In the first 2 miles I encountered a 300ft hill incline. I knew it was coming early in the race, so my strategy was to go slow and save the energy for later in the race. With the 2 miles behind me, I quickly got on pace. The next 7 miles moved quickly and before I knew it I was at Mile 10. Mile 10 took us through downtown Fairborn. It was good to see the downtown area again and everyone cheering us on. Back in the late 90’s we were stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB, so I was in familiar territory. One place I was specifically looking for and found was the Halloween store Foys. It is a popular store year round with famous Halloween props from Hollywood Motion Picture’s.

Soon enough we reached Mile 13...half-way home. I mentioned to Josh that we were making really good time and we both felt like we were in cruise-control! We crossed the half-way marker at 1:53. Mile 13-20 went quickly, keeping pace. At Mile 20 Josh had to slow down and walk but I kept going. I was very PROUD of him for keeping up through 20 miles. His personal best before this race was a 4:45 (He finished in 4:23). Then, at mile 22 it happened...I tried all day to go without having to stop at a porta john. Although making it to mile 22 without having to stop to relieve myself was good. I had never gone that far before mother natural called. It was a welcomed pit-stop LOL. Back on the race track I go. At mile 24 things started going downhill a bit for me. I felt my legs getting heavier and I actually walked for a bit. As I picked back up running, I noticed in front of me a woman wearing a pink shirt with “Running for Amy” on the back. As I ran up beside her I asked her about Amy and she said she had breast cancer. It reminded me of the 7 women I ran in honor of back in April 2012. What a horrible disease...CURE PLEASE!

As I reached the last 1000 meters, to my horror the 4:00 pacer had caught up with me UGH! She went by me like I was walking. I remember telling myself...COME ON, really!!?? Get it in gear and let’s push to the finish. If I finish in front of her or even close I will break the 4 hr mark (I came across the start line 1:10 after the official start). Well the mind says one thing but the legs and body said something completely different. Yes, the body let me finish so I should be happy with that right? LOL.

Two personal bests for me, Overall 4:00 and Half-Way point: 1:53.

Big shoutout to Jonathan Miller and Joe Deporter for completing their 1st Marathons! You guys did awesome! Congrats!

1 comment:

  1. That's home for me!! Dayton!!

    Sounds like a good run for ya!

    ReplyDelete