Sunday, October 6, 2013

USAF Marathon #2 additional post


In my blog on my experiences during my second AF Marathon I mentioned that I would talk more on a friend we met almost three years ago. Tiffany flew to Dayton, Ohio to meet up with her friend Tracy Brooks. They met three years over Facebook when Tracy's husband Denny was in an accident that injured his leg. Denny fell while he was working and had an opened wound. The water he fell in was not clean and over time the injury to his leg developed an infection. The infection worsened to the point that a doctor had to perform surgery. Unfortunately, it did not turn out as planned and Denny had to endure 16 more surgeries in the next three years. Earlier this year, Denny decided that after much thought and prayer, it was time to have his leg removed. All the doctor consultations had said his leg would never heal properly and he would be in constant pain for the rest of his life. This injury also left him in a condition that he was unable to work. He said that after the surgery he would recover and a year later run a race with me. I was humbled and honored that my running would be an inspiration to him and his recovery.

Some of you might know that in 2013 I was going to take a pause from running marathons, but one evening I went running and I was overwhelmed thinking about Denny's situation and came home from the run and told Tiffany I was going to run the USAF Marathon in his honor. To truly honor him I was going to see Denny in the hospital and give him my finisher metal, with the deal that I would be back the next year to get it as we finished whatever length race during the USAF Marathon. I have posted a picture of Denny and I at the hospital with Denny wearing my finisher medal.

Denny get ready I am on my way back to Dayton Ohio on September 20, 2014 to get my medal and run to the finish line with you! You my friend will be able to take our medal down and replace it with one of your very own.


No comments:

Post a Comment