Sunday, September 25, 2016

My USAF Marathon Experience...

USAF Marathon experience take #4!! This was the 20th Anniversary of the race and my 20th marathon...that is so cool!  The weather at the start was the story of the week leading up to the marathon.  They were calling for 80% to 90% rain chances and I prepared myself for another long race in the rain.  I have raced several times in the rain, so I knew what to expect. As the days got closer to the big day, the chances diminished to the point, that no chances for rain became the forecast.  Reality:  We had rain the night before and as race day arrived the forecast held true...no rain, but the temps and humidity became the story.  At the start it was in the 70's and 90ish% humidity. For a runner this makes for a miserable run  and I told "G" to prepare for a grueling race. 

As we arrived to the start line, I had to take my traditional "stop" at the port-a-john.  I had several friends with me for the start and we had one of the photo companies take our photo so we could see the damage that was done with a photo at the end.  Then it was time to walk to the start line.  I decided to stay back and start with the 4:10 group, my strategy with the weather was to start slow and save my energy for the later stages. The National Anthem played and the CV-22s flew over the start line...great sight! Then the gun goes off...time to roll!  I look up into the sky and say "G" let's do this!.

The beginning stages were really good.  As I slowed from time to time I would say out loud, come on "G".  I am sure other runners were looking at me like "Who are you talking to?"  But, each time I said it, I felt lighter on my feet and sped up.  Here are my splits during the early stages:

Mile 1: 8:54
Mile 2: 9:30
Mile 3: 8:37
Mile 4: 9:19
Mile 5: 8:53
Mile 6: 8:53
Mile 7: 8:46
Mile 8: 8:40

As I reached Mile 9 I ran through downtown Fairborn.  Each year, that town goes all out for us.  Such a motivator.  THANK YOU FAIRBORN.  Mile 10 took me out of Fairborn and I noticed I had sped up.  I kept telling myself I needed to slow a bit and "G" reminded me of the strategy as I reached Mile 12 and the half-way point.  At the half-way point I was at 1:57 and felt really good.  I was strong through Mile 19.  At Mile 20 I was starting to feel the heat and humidity.  By this point the temps had reached into the low 80's and the humidity had not dropped much.  The Mile 21 flag was in sight and I said out loud come on "G".  This time the response was not the same as earlier.  I know he was with me, but the tank and energy had gone to a new low.  I had stuck to my normal routine throughout the race and walked thru the aid stations, taking both water and gatorade.  But, the wall was to great this day and I hit it Face First and boy did it hurt...bloody hurt :).  I walked most of Mile 21.  I picked back up at Mile 22, but it was slow and only a short time.  This continued until I crossed the finish line. 

In the end this was not my best race or ideal running conditions.  But, this was not about me and a time, it was about running the race for "G".  The photo below shows the shirt I wore for "G".  I thank "G" for being on my shoulders.  His presence was certainly felt and I know he was encouraging me to complete the race I had begun. 


The story of "G" and my shirt was talked about on the course.  I had two runners stop me at Mile 19 and 20, wanting to know the story behind the shirt.  That was such a blessing for me to walk and discuss with them.  One was a fellow active duty Air Force member from a base in Arizona and the other was a older civilian gentleman.  Both were touched and I was touched in return as the active duty Air Force member from the base in Arizona was running the race in honor of his Son who has a dehabiliting muscle disease and he is only 4 years old.        


Let me close this post by saying THANK YOU to Archie and Jessie Burchard for letting me run this race for "G".  You both are the epitome of faith, dedication, family and what parents are supposed to be to their children!  It was a true honor and blessing!      

1 comment: