Friday, November 4, 2016

My MCM Marathon Experience Take #3...

Marine Corps Marathon

MCM Marathon take #3!  This was the 41st running of this amazing race and my 21st marathon...amazing!  The weather was a bit warm and as the day progressed it did get rather hot.  It reminded me of the heat and humidity during the USAF Marathon from just a month ago. The Metro here in Washington DC has been doing track repair throughout the city and because of that the race started later than normal at 7:55.  The race gave us until 8:55 to get to the start line due to the track repair.  With that, I finally made it to the start line about 8:20. 

The MCM didn't disappoint for the sights.  Yes, I ran through the part of Washington with the monuments and Smithsonian's, but I was able to see Michael Jackson dancing and performing his famous songs.  I was able to give a thumbs up to Chewbacca and Princess Leia (Yes, full Comic-Con style :)).  I saw Superman at least 5 times during the race...kind of scared me and wonder woman was sighted multiple times throughout the race.  All the Incredible's made it to the race too.  So the Hollywood and California superstars were well represented this year.   

Now back to the race.  The first several miles were crowded.  This is one thing I really don't like about the MCM.  They do have people setup in corrals, but with the mass humanity it still makes it difficult to get into a good rhythm.  I really didn't get comfortable until Mile 10.  With the amount of zigzagging back and forth to dog runners, running on the grass off the road or slowing to a walk at times, I was surprised when I reached the half way point at 1:58. Mile 13-19 seemed to move quickly (Well that is what I was telling myself).  As I made the turn toward Mile 20, thoughts of the finish were starting to come to mind.  My body was feeling good, legs were holding up, but I was slowing a bit.  I made it to Mile 23 and I met up with a friend who was running his first marathon.  He was struggling with cramps in his legs (Had been for several miles), so I decided right there that I was going to get him to the finish line.  We walked and talked for about 2 miles and when we made it to the final mile, we both said...lets run it in. My time was no concern anymore, it was about making sure he finished his first marathon.

The MCM continues to impress.  All the support along the race was incredible.  The Marines were out in full force and did great at the Aid stations.  So another MCM complete! 


Now onto my last race of the year The JFK 50 miler.  Find out in the next few days who I am running in honor of...  

No comments:

Post a Comment