Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The JFK 50 Miler was...

So how does a 50 mile run sound?!  Crazy huh?  Well for me it was a challenge.  I had only ran one other Ultra marathon (24-hour run in Virginia) in 2012, before the JFK 50 Miler.  I have done many marathons, I felt good and had my great friend Brian Burk encouraging me in the months, weeks and days before the race.  Brian is a huge mentor for me, fellow runner and ultra marathoner.  Additionally, I recently signed up to be a member of the US Military Endurance Sports (usmes.org) organization so we had a total of 6 members at the race.  It is always a good time when you are at race with a group of people.  They all had ran many races so it was good to get some perspective prior to the race.  We also had a great dinner at Olive Garden...that never ending pasta bowl is amazing! And bread sticks and salad to boot!  After dinner we headed back to the hotel, readied our clothes for the race and Brian and I caught up on old times and just life.  I then turned in earlier than normal for a night before a race (10 pm).  I woke at 0400 for a 0430 breakfast with the team and then we left for the high school in Boonsboro at 0500.  As we reached the school it was really starting to hit me that it was prime time and the race was only hours away.  The briefing at the school was well put together, we dropped our after race bags and then the race coordinator gave us the rules for the race, our timing gates throughout the day...yes I had to finish certain sections of the race in a specific timeframe, so I had the pressure of just finishing but also the added pressure of the time gates.  If you missed one of the time gate you would be removed from the course.  I had never ran a race that had timed sections and luckily I never got close to missing one.   
Let me go back to before the race...Brian had described the race to me and even sent me a link to his blog which provided a few videos of the course etc.  He described the quick altitude change but as seen below...it was literally straight uphill in a few places the first 8-9 miles.  Nothing can prepare you for what is ahead of you unless you experience it for yourself, so if you want to find out..sign up for 2017 :):). 



The dramatic increase was then just as dramatic coming down the mountain and off the Appalachian Trail (AT). As I finally reached the bottom of the mountain I arrived at the aid station at 15.5 miles.  It was an amazing stop.  PB and J sandwiches, oranges, gatorade, water, coke, M&M's, and peanuts.  This turned out to be the standard for the aid stations till Mile 42.  At Mile 42 they switched to hot chicken noodle soup...boy did I need that, you will read why here in a minute. 

The next 26 miles or so was defined as "Flat", "Easy Run" along the Potomac river.  HaHa, you can see it is a slight increase the entire way and as you looked out on the Potomac river I was running against the flow of the water.  Yes, they claim that the trail was "flat" was just dead wrong. LOL.  The trail along the river was scenic with the amazing tree foliage and a few deer.  At the beginning of this part of the race it had warmed (62ish degrees), but the trees did well to keep the sun off of us.  At Mile 20 I stopped and went Face book Live showing everyone the beautiful Potomac River.  I then pressed to the Mile 27 aid station and at this point the heat was starting to take a toll.  As I pushed and passed two fellow runners named Robby and Kate, who I had passed a few times earlier in the race.  This is the norm at races.  People speed up and slow down and you will eventually either start running together or walking.  As we ran and walked, we talked of our previous races, and professions.  Both of them had multiple ultra marathons under their belts.  Robby had multiple 100 milers and Kate had done several 50 milers, so I was in good company to finish the race and before I knew it we made it to the aid station at Mile 34.  As we ran into the aid station the weather suddenly took a turn towards winter.  The temp dropped dramatically, the wind kicked in strong and yep rain drops started.  I told them I needed to stop and put on my long sleeve shirt, beanie hat and gloves.  I also took advantage of the theme (It was decorated with a theme of Miracle on 34th St...all Christmas'd up :). I ate some Christmas cookies and PB&J sandwiches.  With this extra time Robby and Kate pressed forward and I thought I would catch up with them.  Needless to say, that never happened. LOL.  As I pressed to the Mile 39 aid station, the temperatures continued to drop and the rain started to really come down, difference now is sleet started to mix in and for a bit it really came down.  I remember thinking...really!  The AT from earlier and now...sleet!  C'MON!!  As I pulled into the Mile 39 aid station I decided to stop and stay under the tent for a few minutes (Turned into 10 mins) to get out of the rain.  It had amazing sandwiches, M&Ms and drinks.  I moved out and meet up with a older gentlemen named Charlie.  It was his first 50 Miler, but he had been running marathons for many years...yep crazy like me!  We reached the Mile 42 aid station and received our "Strip of Courage", it was a reflective arm band required due to darkness.  We left the aid station and finally finished the trail part of the course and moved to the road for the 8 mile home stretch.  Within a half a mile we were greeted by a gentleman providing hot chicken noodle soup.  With the rain and cold and now darkness, it really hit the spot.  We moved on and I noticed a small sign on the side of the road that had the number "8" on it...could this be the sign I was looking for?  Yes, Yes it was, 8 miles left before the finish line. This was my countdown.  I broke out the cell phone and let my teammates know where I was.  8 turned to 7 and 7 turned to 6, then another aid station with hot noodle soup...yep that hit the spot.  6....5....4....3....2...1.  I finally reached the final 1 mile of the race.  I remember thinking, Jason lets kick it into gear and finish strong and you know what, the body responded to the mind :).  At about 1/2 mile to the finish Tiffany my wife Face Timed me and asked how was doing...I said "hurting" but finishing.  I made it to the downtown area and saw the bright lights...yep the bright light at the end of the tunnel.  It was like I was running to Heaven.  LOL.  I made it across the line in 12:20, so proud and happy.  I remember the first aid worker looking at me and saying "need anything?", I don't really remember the response other than "I think so" and "where is the bathroom"...yep I was a bit out of it. 

I walked to the high school gymnasium and was greeted with a high five and huge hug from Brian.  I finished! 

What an accomplishment!  This was the toughest race since I started racing in the 2009.  Would I do it again...that requires some praying! 

The below picture gives you a perspective of the entire race.




Until the next race....            


No comments:

Post a Comment