Sunday, March 19, 2017

Rock and Roll Marathon, Washington DC



RnR Marathon DC take #2.  Back in 2012 when we lived here in DC I ran the inaugural RnR Marathon so it was nice to return and do this race again.  This year's race was MUCH different than 2012.  At the start it was in the lower 20's with 10-15 MPH winds.  So I had my long leggings, long-sleeved shirt, gloves and beanie on and ready for the 7:00am start.  Hunter joined me for this race which made it really special and with the metro safe track continuing it made our transportation to the race a challenge.  In advance of this we scheduled a taxi to pick us up at 5:00am.  We were not sure how long it would take to get to the race and really hoped the taxi could get us as close to the start as possible.  Luckily, he was able to get us two blocks from the start and it only took 15 min to get there...AMAZING considering DC traffic.  Arriving that early caused a problem though.  With the temperatures in the 20s you can imagine how quickly we became overwhelmingly cold.  Starbucks came to the rescue...we found one just a block or so from the race and were welcomed by the staff.  Hunter and I were the first racers to find it and take advantage, but as the morning progressed more and more racers arrived.  After some good coffee, it was time to walk to our Corral (4) for the start of the race. 

One thing I like about the Rock and Roll Marathons is the way they have a phased approach to their starts.  The elites leave first and then each Corral is about 1 1/2 mins or so apart.  I never have a problem getting on pace early in the race and we are spaced out and running with the group of runners that will finish around the same time.  One race that I wish would change the start is the Marine Corps Marathon.  It is a mass start and you are crowded for the first 8 or so miles.  So if you are looking for a race to PR, the Marine Corps marathon is not the race to do it...well unless you are an elite at the beginning of the race :):).

Back to the RnR.  The first 5K of the race went really well.  Hunter and I were on pace crossing in 28 mins.  We stayed steady the next 3 miles, Hunter had to take a pit stop around Mile 6 or so, I kept going and after about a mile I realized he might not know I kept going.  I continued though knowing we would eventually link back up during the race.  As I approached Mile 7 we encountered our first Hill.  We were greeted by the "Wear Blue:  Run To Remember" crew.  They had pictures and tributes to Fallen military members (Photos Below), as the Hill started they were screaming and waving the American Flags...such a PROUD moment running by them with 25 years of faithful service under my belt.  I finally reached the top of the Hill, made a corner turn and we were back to running on a flat surface.  It was shortly after this that I had someone tap my shoulder...I looked over and Hunter had caught up :):).  He was winded and said he had just ran a 7 min mile to catch me.  He was understandably irritated and I told him we had a miscommunication at his pit stop.  He thought I would stop at the water station and wait for him, I told him I would continue running, just at a slower pace.

Mile 8 was uneventful.  Hunter and I made a deal that if we crossed the half in around 2 hrs, that he would push me for a PR.  Hunter was feeling really good at this point in the race.  I however was developing problems in my left leg.  By Mile 9 I was starting to cramp.  I had never experienced cramps during a race, so I was in unchartered territory.  I figured it was temporary and just dealt with it, but it did slow my pace and Hunter could tell.  We discussed my stride and how I was running.  As we approached the half way point, I actually felt good about our time.  We crossed in 2:09 and I really thought this might be the race where I finally finish the back 13 better than the first 13.  Reality is...this would be one of my worst back 13 since starting to race in 2009.  As the miles continued, cramps developed in both legs and  Hunter at one point looked at me and asked if I was OK...I said Bud, the legs are done, from the waist down I am done.  I remember telling myself..SELF, what are you doing?  Get it together?  There is no quit so you will just have to deal with it!  YES, I actually was arguing with myself :).  We made it to Mile 17-18 and I took out my last CLIF Shock and proceeded to eat them.  Another first, I actually felt nauseated and told Hunter I felt like throwing up.  Again, I started to argue with myself.  SELF...you have to be kidding me!  I threw the Shocks in the trash at the water station at Mile 18 and we continued.  Mile 18-22 was just one struggle after another.  I remember seeing the 5 hr pacer pass me...all I could do is throw my arms in the air and scream "Really!!??".  Well I didn't scream, but it sure felt like I was.

As we made it to Mile 23, the Hills were back.  We had one right after the other through Mile 24.  Who does that!  Just wrong!  I know what you are thinking...Jay come on...this is a marathon, YOU signed up for this!.  As I took the roundabout exit close to Mile 25, I remember thinking...this is almost over.  There was a bridge separating us from the finish and you guessed it, we were running against the wind.  It was still in the 20s and that wind just ripped right through both of us.  Mile 26 arrived and the finish line was in sight.  Normally, as I make it this close to a finish line, I turn on the after burners and run as hard as I can...today was not that day :).  I actually walked across the finish line.

This Rock and Roll ranked as the second hardest of my 23 marathons.  With the weather, cramps, nausea and Hills (Again, I say WRONG) it was a rough race.  To keep it all in perspective.  I ran the race, have a hard earned finisher medal, didn't DNF, not injured, and finished with my son.  I live to concur another race in 2017.  Next up...April 2nd and the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler here in DC.

Thanks Bud for all the words of encouragement and finishing with your Dad!  Another one completed!  



No comments:

Post a Comment