Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cherry Blossom 2012

Another awesome running experience here in the Nation’s Capital, it is Cherry Blossom time here in DC…even though the full bloom happened a couple of weeks ago it was still a wonderful run. Unfortunately, I really don’t have any sights to report on. I always enjoy the costumes, funny clothes that people will wear for the different racing events I attend.

Now onto the race. I was up early; I had my normal oatmeal, coffee. I know this was not a marathon but I wanted to keep my routine the same. After breakfast I packed up my things and headed to the metro. I did add a marathon snickers bar (Left over from the Rock and Roll Marathon DC style)…that thing rocked! I padded my time just in case I encountered huge crowds at the Metro (I am in DC right!). I arrived early surprisingly. This gave me some extra time to stretch and just clear my mind. I then headed for the starting location. As with the Rock and Roll marathon they spaced our corrals out to start 90 secs apart. This really helps to get my rhythm going quickly. After several miles I was feeling really good. I was moving quickly and just felt strong. The 5 mile marker seemed to come quick and I realized I was already half-way home J. As I reached mile 7 the bathroom monster rose its ugly head, but I quickly put a squash to that and told myself I was going to finish before going to the bathroom…there was no time to waste. As I reached mile 9, I noticed that a man was being given medical assistance on the sidewalk. This was no ordinary medical treatment, he was being given chest compressions…you can’t imagine what goes through your mind when you see this in person. Yes, we hear it on the news or read it online, but seeing it right in front of you is to put it lightly SCARY. I am still not sure if the older gentleman survived, but it brought back memories of the Route 66 marathon a few years ago. I had reached mile 7 or 8 of that race and noticed again on the sidewalk a lifeless body. I would later learn the young man (23 yrs of age) died…massive heart attack. At mile 9 I was pushing hard. As I rounded the last turn for the finish, I was in a full sprint. What a finish!  

No comments:

Post a Comment